Muxia to Rochester

Muxia to Rochester

On the Road

Muxia. Left with no travel issues. Bus on time.

Santiago. Same here. Train left on time and arrived on time in Madrid. During the train ride, I awoke to find the train stopped in Puebla de Sanabria which was my stopping point for last year's Camino Sanabres. Coincidence? Or the Camino calling me back to the quiet and solitude of the Sanabres after the hustle and bustle of the Frances.

Turning in now for tomorrow's flight back to Rochester.
Linda and I explored Madrid spontaneously and came across 
1. A coffee shop with churros on a Wednesday evening
2. The Puerta del Sol
3. A special chocolate store of fine treats
4. the San Pablo market for delicious tapa hopping.

530 am wakeup for the airport and return to Rochester. ... Good night's sleep and at airport now, waiting to leave.

Uneventful flight to Toronto with only a minor issue at Pearson Airport, altho' I did think it would cost me my flight to Rochester. But it all worked out and at 3:20 on August 10th, I landed at Rochester and closed the books on Camino 2017.

My compostelas in hand, I looked at them again in my loft with pride over my dedication to walking the Way of St James, as hundreds of thousands have done before me, and many more will follow in the years to come.

Final Thoughts

Every camino has led to personal introspection on my return to Rochester, and this camino is no different.

I remember back on how different the Frances is from the Via De La Plata - not the least of which is the numbers of pilgrims on the Frances in comparison to the Via. I never felt the ability to wrap myself up in a cocoon on the Frances, and sink deep into myself by imagining what shape and purpose that I would have as I left the protective outer shell.

On the Via, time for reflection was unavoidable. On the Frances it was not available. This is not to say that one is better or one is worse - only that both are different as night and day. It may be easier to see in the day than the night, but one is less inclined to look in the glare as opposed to staring into the shadows.

So now that I've completed the Via de La Plata, the Camino Frances (from Sahagun), the Camino Finisterre/Muxia ... what is next? I don't know yet. I have some thoughts. I've started the Camino Sanabres. If I finish that, I would end up in Santiago again and have a second chance at experiencing the magic of Plaza Obreira. Or I could go back south to Granada or Cadiz. Those are literally routes less traveled, so I would have something that I value ... an aloneness with the environment around me. Now that I have experienced the Frances and its other worldliness, perhaps it is time to return to how I started.

Makes one wonder about the circle of life from the Lion King. Is it a circle? For some I imagine it is an ellipse with great arcing curves that return one to some fundamental point. For others, it may be a square or rectangle with sharply defined life events that initiate radical change. I somehow feel that for me it is more of an irregular polygon. At some point I will discover a basic point about which all has revolved/rotated, but not yet. The world is still out there and it is still calling. The journey is not over ... in fact the adventure continues.

And so shall I.


"Shake It Out" by Florence and the Machine
Regrets collect like old friends
Here to relive your darkest moments
I can see no way, I can see no way
And all of the ghouls come out to play
And every demon wants his pound of flesh
But I like to keep some things to myself
I like to keep my issues strong
It's always darkest before the dawn

And I've been a fool and I've been blind
I can never leave the past behind
I can see no way, I can see no way
I'm always dragging that horse around
Our love is pastured such a mournful sound
Tonight I'm gonna bury that horse in the ground
So I like to keep my issues strong
But it's always darkest before the dawn

Shake it out, shake it out,
And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back

'Cause I am done with my graceless heart
So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart
'Cause I like to keep my issues strong
It's always darkest before the dawn

I tried to dance with the devil on your back
And given half the chance would I take any of it back
It's a final mess but it's left me so empty
It's always darkest before the dawn

And I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't
So here's to drinks in the dark at the end of my road
And I'm ready to suffer and I'm ready to hope
It's a shot in the dark and right at my throat
'Cause looking for heaven, found the devil in me
Looking for heaven, for the devil in me
Well what the hell I'm gonna let it happen to me

And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back
So shake him off, oh whoa

'Wait' by M83
Set your dreams where nobody hides
Give your tears to the tide
No time

There's no end, there is no goodbye
Disappear with night
No time
'Thank U' by Alaniss Morrisette
How 'bout getting off these antibiotics
How 'bout stopping eating when I'm full up
How 'bout them transparent dangling carrots
How 'bout that ever elusive kudo

Thank you India
Thank you terror
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty
Thank you consequence
Thank you thank you silence


How 'bout me not blaming you for everything
How 'bout me enjoying the moment for once
How 'bout how good it feels to finally forgive you
How 'bout grieving it all one at a time

The moment I let go of it was the moment
I got more than I could handle
The moment I jumped off of it
Was the moment I touched down

How 'bout no longer being masochistic
How 'bout remembering your divinity
How 'bout unabashedly bawling your eyes out
How 'bout not equating death with stopping

Thank you India
Thank you providence
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you nothingness
Thank you clarity
Thank you thank you silence





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8 - Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo

Day 10 - Las Herrerias to Fillobal

The Final Countdown